Creating machine trust account for NT

werner maes werner.maes at cc.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Nov 15 04:21:03 GMT 2001

Hello,

Just some more questions regarding joining a NT-2000 client to the domain:

Is it necessary to enable the checkbox "create a computer account in the
domain" when you want to join the client to the domain?
==> This option will create an account on the domain for this computer. You
must specify a user account with the ability to add workstations to the
specified domain above.

Off course after you have created an entry for the machine in /etc/passw
and in smbpasswd. I used to enable this checkbox and when asked for a user
name and password I gave in 'root' with password the samba password of
root. This practically always worked.

But it seems to work even without enabling this checkbox. Then I asked
myself: why is it even necessary to create a entry in smbpasswd for root?
I'm referring to paragraphs 8.4.1 and 8.4.2 of the Samba-HOWTO collection.

Kind regards,

Werner