Appleshare IP 6.2 and smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Nov 15 02:59:02 GMT 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Unless you are running MacOS X, the only SMB server available for the
> Mac is 'Dave', see the links on the download page @ samba.org.

Are you sure about that? google tells me:

"This version [6.0] adds support for SMB over TCP/IP as well, bringing Windows
 clients into the fold."
	http://www.networkcomputing.com/914/914sp4.html

"In addition, Version 6 will provide SMB client support, letting Windows 95
 and Windows NT clients access AppleShare servers natively."
	http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/features/webserver98/prev1.html

And would smbclient get as far as protocol negotiation if the server
didn't support SMB? I'd expect it to fail sooner (session request).

/Urban