Printer

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed Nov 14 18:48:02 GMT 2001

Hmmmm....
This should be easy.
Have you installed the printers in windows? You have to go through the add
printer icon, add a network printer (your samba printer) and install the
drivers as per usual.
I use /tmp as the path, just because that was the default I think.
/tmp is the directory where the job is stored after it is sent from the
client to the samba server.
/dev/lp0 is the device on my linux server that the printer is connected to.
The printing process, crudely, involves windows filtering your job and
sending it to the samba server. The job is stored in /tmp/XYZ on the samba
server. Then, lpr is invoked according to the print command in your smb.con.
%s is the name of the temporary file in /tmp.
lpr -Plp %s invokes lpr to send %s to the lp print queue.
It all makes sense, and understanding this is crucial to troubleshooting, but they
never tell you this stuff. You always have to figure it out.
Joel