Appleshare IP 6.2 and smbfs

William Mulvihill will.mulvihill at dxrgroup.com
Wed Nov 14 13:38:02 GMT 2001

Hi,
	I'm having trouble connecting to an Appleshare IP 6.2 Mac that is
doing SMB file sharing from my RedHat Linux 7.2 box.  I've looked and
looked and looked at many things and many SMB clients.  I've tried
smbclient, smbmount, Sharity, and even just doing a mount -t smbfs.  All
of them come back with something of this form:
Protocol Negotiation Failed
SMB connection failed.

	I have tried using samba 2.2.1a, samba 2.2.2.  I have upgraded my
kernel from 2.4.9 to 2.4.13 in the hopes that some of the smbfs fixes in
2.4.11 would help.  None of this has helped.  What is funny is that I
can use samba to connect to every other Windows shared directory.  Works
like a charm.  I can mount Windows machine's shared files, but cannot
connect to this Mac serving Windows files.  Using verbose modes of
smbclient and such don't yield any useful lines.  And I know my DOMAIN
is set up correctly.

	The absolute last thing I haven't tried yet is to upgrade the
Appleshare IP Mac to 6.3.2.  But to do that, I need to upgrade the
entire OS from 8.6 to 9.0.4.  While this is doable, it would be nice to
avoid this.  This is our main file server and I'd like to know if the
upgrade would definitely fix this.  Has anyone had success using samba
with Appleshare IP???  Anyone???  I googled the web.  No one seems clear
on whether this will work.  If I am asking the wrong person about this,
please let me know who I should direct my questions to.  Thanks.

William Mulvihill, Web Master
DxR Development Group, Inc.
150 E. Pleasant Hill Road
Carbondale, IL 62901