smbfs errors

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Nov 14 06:42:10 GMT 2001

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Spock wrote:

> I have a Linux Workstation (Dual Processor Xeon, 800GByte RAID 10,
> Gigabit Ethernet). There is a Samba Server (2.2.0) on it and there is
> a mounted Share from an NT-PC (mount -t smbfs -o
> username=xxx,password=xxx //xxx/mount /home/mnt).
>
> In the file /var/log/messages I have the following error Messages :
>
> smb_trans2_request: result=-104, setting invalid
> smb_lookup: find //xxx failed, error=-104

The connection was reset by the server (see 104 in /usr/include/asm/errno.h)

> smb_lookup: find //xxx failed, error=--5       # a few of them

and smbmount was unable to reconnect in time, so the lookup returns EIO.

Why smbmount fails here I don't know. You can look at your samba logs and
see if smbmount.log contains anything.

What kernel is this?

After a -5 does the mount start working again or does it remain unusable
until you umount it?

The indirect cause is that the server disconnects and that can usually be
prevented.

One trick is to make a cronjob that reads or writes something from the
share at regular intervals (say every 5 minutes). That will make the
server think you are using it and not disconnect it.

The other is to make a registry change to increase the "autodisconnect"
time of the NT/2k/XP server. I don't have that key available, but it is
described in the MS knowledge base (and has been mentioned on this list if
you search the archives).

/Urban