Re: win95 + linux oplock error, even with kernel oplocks = no.

pkg PBE-SIT perkjetil.grotnes at pbe.oslo.kommune.no
Wed Nov 14 01:26:02 GMT 2001

This might not be the solution, but since you are so desperate I'll give it a shot.  ;-)

> Ik have 12 win95 client (a school class), and one debian (sid) linux server.

We had the excact same problems in the log as yours with a small network of  our own.
We figured the problem was with the speed and duplex of the network cards, and this again
generated the samba error messages.

- Our Solaris box was up with 100mhz/full duplex

and hub'ed (100mhz hub) to a

- NT-box with 100mhz/full duplex.

This would seem quite nice in theory, but it seems that the hub could not handle the
full-duplex part.  So we put both to 100Mhz/half-duplex (which really is a no no with 100Mhz
speeds) and we had no problems with the transfer nor any error messages in the samba-log
anymore.

Another solution might be to 'switch' the network components.  Put a switch there instead of a
HUB.  You might then see that 100Mhz/Full Duplex would work.

Hint: if you can, never use 'auto-negotiate' on speed nor duplex in any op-sys environment.

You can check what speed and duplex you have (in solaris anyway) with this command:
dmesg

And you can set the unix-network speed and duplex in /etc/system (dunno if its the same in
Linux).  Search for "hme_adv_100fdx_cap" on the net and you should get some manual hits
for it i would guess.

> Æ2001/11/12 16:22:37, 0Å smbd/oplock.c:request_oplock_break(981)
>   request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request to pid 636 on port
1036 for dev = 301, inode = 45828, file_id = 1
> Æ2001/11/12 16:22:37, 0Å smbd/open.c:open_mode_check(552)
>   open_mode_check: exlusive oplock left by process 636 after break ! For file
cfiles/digiwijs.FCD, dev = 301, inode = 45828. Deleting it to cont
> inue...
> Æ2001/11/12 16:22:37, 0Å lib/util.c:smb_panic(1053)
>   PANIC: open_mode_check: Existant process 636 left active oplock.

Regards
Per Kjetil Grotnes
---
IT-Seksjonen, Plan- og bygningsetaten, Oslo Kommune
Tlf: 22 66 26 61, Fax: 22 66 26 65