Printer

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Nov 13 16:06:13 GMT 2001

Colin,
Please fix your dates. You are a month behind.
I am going to supply a lot of detail, since you are new to this.
Here is what I have in my printer section.
[lp]
        comment = Raw Printer for Z53
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.
        printable = Yes
        printing = lprng
#       print command = echo "Tried to print %s" > /SPOOL/junk.%s
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -Plp %s; rm %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
        lppause command = /usr/bin/lpc hold -Plp %j
        lpresume command = /usr/bin/lpc release -Plp %j
        printer name = lp
#       printer driver = Lexmark Z53 Series ColorFine
#       printer driver location = \\HAMMER2\AllFiles\usr\local\samba\printer
        share modes = No

I am using Caldera 2.4 which uses LPRng. You may have something different
and MAY have somewhat different commands. You will need to point your
windows clients to a raw or unfiltered print queue on your linux server.
That is, the windows printing software will do the filtering for your
printer, and samba will just act as a passive conduit between the windows
clients and the attached printer.
My guess account is ftp.
I failed miserably trying to store the drivers on my linux server for this
printer. They installed fine from the CD but never off the server. Trying to
download them from the server always KILLED windows, wouldn't start after
that. Never figured out why. I also could never install them from the
downloaded driver files on my win4lin windows installation. Spool32 errors.

Here is what I have in my /etc/printcap for an unfiltered printer:
lp|LP|z53-outfiles:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sh:rw:
This is for a lexmark z53. It likes two way communication, so, I allow it
that, (rw), but that options works only from the server, won't work from the
windows clients.  Your linux applications would NOT use this queue, unless
the Lexmark Optra Plus is a postscript printer.
Now, the reason for not being able to print might be many.
Do you have security by share or by user? I have it by share in my global,
and with the guest ok there is no password problem with the printer.
Joel