"Called name not present" - Howto solve?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Nov 12 15:05:06 GMT 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 alexander.skwar at delphiauto.com wrote:

> I've  got a  problem  connecting  my Linux  Mandrake  8.0 box  running
> samba-2.2.0-5mdk to a Windows server.

I know you solved it...

> [root at fp-2252 /etc]# mount -t smbfs -o username=John\ Doe
> //164.56.65.199/transfer /mnt/Transfer
> 20313: session request to 164.56.65.199 failed (Called name not present)
> 20313: session request to 164 failed (Called name not present)
> 20313: session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
> SMB connection failed

*SMBSERVER is a special name that should be accepted by NT/2k/XP/Samba
servers (and probably others). What is the server running? If not one of
those that could explain it.

If *SMBSERVER fails perhaps smbmount and smbclient should do whatever
nmblookup does to find the netbios name (do a nmblookup -A and try all the
names returned ...). Did nmblookup -A return the name that worked?

> groups.google.com  and marc.theaimsgroup.com,  but  besides  a lot  of
> other help requests like mine, I didn't find a solution.

I'm surprised. Name in "Called name" refers to netbios names (not very
obvious) and using the netbios name is often suggested, sometimes combined
with forcing the right IP#.

/Urban