Sending a 'winpopup' message by IP.

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Nov 12 14:43:02 GMT 2001

I just tried it on my machine and it worked just fine.
smbclient -M 192.168.0.2
If you run
smbclient -L ipnumber -d5 | less
and
smbclient -L machinename -d5 | less
you will see just after the password prompt how smbclient tries to resolve
the address of the target machine. This might show you the solution.
NOW, the above worked fine with a linux target. It FAILED with a windows 98
target. This sounds like some windows problem.
So, I would use nmblookup -A ipnumber to show the netbios name of the
windows client.
Joel