strange locking ? problem

Alexander Seitz Alexander.Seitz at fhs-hagenberg.ac.at
Mon Nov 12 05:26:04 GMT 2001

Hi all ,

I have several File Servers running linux and samba 2.2.2 and since i
upgraded i have a strange problem.
I have compiled samba 2.2.2 witch quota support. nothing else special.
I use samba in Domain mode.

The following problem occures:
Some of the users can't read files or directoris in their home directories.
The windows explorer gets an timeout or sometimes even crashes.
I can change in those directories in linux but when I say ls nothoing
happens. No directory listing, I can't even CONTROL C. (like samba has
locked these files)
As soon as I stop samba and start it again the files are accessible again.
But sometimes I can't even stop samba, not even with kill -9.
I have to reboot the machine and everything works perfect for maybe two days
the the same happens.

I have the following config:  Kernel 2.2.4 SuSE 7.2  Samba 2.2.2 compiled
with --with-quotas
Server is a PII 400 Mhz, 512 MB, 80 GB RAID 5 with Mylex DAC960

any help would be appreciated

My smb.conf looks like that:  (its the same on all servers exept name and
shares)

[global]
   workgroup = FHS-HAGENBERG
   encrypt passwords = yes