Shortened sharenames

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sat Nov 10 19:02:04 GMT 2001

This from man smb.conf

Joel

 Although  the  configuration file permits service names to contain spaces,
your client soft-
       ware may not. Spaces will be ignored in comparisons anyway, so it
shouldn4t be a  problem  -
       but be aware of the possibility.

       On  a  similar  note,  many  clients - especially DOS clients - limit
service names to eight
       characters. Smbd has no such limitation, but attempts to connect from
such clients will fail
       if  they  truncate the service names.  For this reason you should
probably keep your service
       names down to eight characters in length.