Patch for events like "On Create", "On Modify"...

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 10 11:17:23 GMT 2001

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 03:21:17PM -0200, Daniel William Schultz wrote:
> Why don't create one patch for "On Create/Modify" event ? We could use it
> for checking viruses "on the fly", dont you think ?

I haven't tried this module so I can't personally vouch for its
function (I can't even say if it compiles with the current release of
samba), but if you do a web search on "samba-fu" you should find a few
references to samba-fu 0.1. This is a VFS module that pretty much does
what you're looking for - it allows you to specify an arbitrary command
to be run on the successful completion of a number of actions.

If you need a delaying action for your boss you might point out that on
a busy server scanning every file will generate a great deal of
overhead and may slow it down unacceptably. While I'm very much in favor
of doing virus scans of Samba shares, an automatic nightly full scan
plus the occasional manual scan if you have a virus outbreak might be a
better policy. That combined with a well-thought-out antivirus policy on
the desktop side should take care of most of your problems.

--
Michael Heironimus