samba PDC with NIS, or other solution?

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at hera.itg.uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 9 10:04:03 GMT 2001

we can allow cleartext, no problem (we've been using nis for years). and i
can't/won't crack 600 passwords. i just want to avoid telling 600 people
that they have to re-enter their passwords, and i think i get the idea
that it's possible, but i just dont understand it yet.

if there is no way to get encrypted passwords into the smbpasswd file,
then, if what im what to do is possible, there must be some other way to
get cleartext passwords into the smbpasswd file.

so how do i get my encrypted NIS file -> cleartext -> smbpasswd?

wait a second, i just read your email again and i think i got it:

i use that script to generate the smbpasswd file (minus the passwords).
then i set the smb.conf with 'update encrypted = yes'. then force all my
clients to send cleartext passwords. will this do what i want? if so, then
how does samba validate a user who is loging on if that user's password is
not in the smbpasswd file? if it works this way, then anyone could login
(assuming they know a user alias name), submit any password they want and
take control over that persons logon. it must not work this way. that
would be a huge security hole. what am i misunderstanding?

or do i just have to make all my users re-enter their passwords? once
that's done, i would be set to go...

thanks as always,

alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems | Imaging Technology Group
   alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu