Open Files

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Fri Nov 9 05:39:02 GMT 2001

Hello Brent,
The deal is, that you are accessing/deleting the files from LINUX,
and the users are accessingthem thru samba.  Depending on how you have
certain locking parameters defined in your smb.conf file (oplocks, locking,
strict locking), the pc useage of the files on this disk does not 'bleed'
down
to the LINUX level, so linux doesn't know (or care) that someone is using
them;
esp when a client is using a file with an oplock, that typically ONLY samba
is
keeping track of.

As long as the files that you are updating are executables, and you don't
have
to worry about data corruption, this is probably just fine. You MIGHT run
into
an issue if you are in the middle of an update while people are using these
programs
in that they might get mixed revs of the main programs and/or some dlls, but
that's
up to you.

Hope this helps,
Don