Running Samba on a masquerading router

smh at sophos.com smh at sophos.com
Fri Nov 9 04:39:14 GMT 2001

Hi,

I'm running Samba 2.2.1 on a NAT machine.  Only hosts from the
private net are allowed access (hosts allow and interfaces set to
the private network only).  My problem is that domains from the
'public' network are still appearing on my private network, albeit
inaccessible.  It's almost as if the browse-list mechanism is
picking them up on the public interface.

Is there a way to prevent nmbd/smbd from doing this?  Is this
caused by some other miss-configuration?  I'm running Linux,
kernel 2.4.6 with ipchains.

Secondly, is it possible to have different shares on different
interfaces without a second samba installation?

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Simon.

--
Simon Harrison, Senior Software Engineer                  Sophos Anti-Virus
http://www.sophos.com                           UK Support: +44 1235 559933