Question regard an IPC$ error with Windows 98 Clients.

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Nov 8 15:36:03 GMT 2001

I can't help with passwords but:
I run a small home network. As a new user to linux, you will be surprised at
how much grief security/permissions will cause you. About 1/3 of my troubles
come from permissions.
You can really make things easier if you use SHARE security and make guest
ok on your samba server. No passwords, no problems. Reduced security, but
you don't sound like you need it.
Here is what I have in my smb.conf:

[ global ]
security = SHARE
guest account = ftp

[  public ]
comment = All Files
        path = /
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
Once this is working, you can worry about passwords later.
There are other ways to make things secure without passwords. You can
restrict access to certain ips, for example (hosts allow). And, there is
plenty of security built into linux. For example user ftp will not have many
privileges on your system.
Once you can get samba working, you will be able to better explore how it
works.
Joel