Question regard an IPC$ error with Windows 98 Clients.

Bill Seay bseay at amstek.com
Thu Nov 8 15:14:03 GMT 2001

To begin with, I am a Linux and Samba neophyte.  I apologize for my
ignorance in advance.  If I have posted this to the incorrect list, I
apologize again, but I am going bald with frustration over my issue.

I am attempting to configure Samba version 2.2.2 on a Red Hat Linux 7.1
machine.  I have set it it up in USER security mode, as I will be
running it stand alone.  Currently I am only attempting to connect a
single Windows 98, second edition PC to it.  I set up a Linux user and
configured his password, then went into SWAT and configured a Samba user
in the passwords tab with the same Linux password that I previously set.
Then I logged into the Windows 98 PC with the same username/password
combination.  I could browse the network neighborhood and see the
machine, but as soon as I double clicked on it, it pops up dialog box
that says the following:

You must supply a password to make this connection.
Resource:	\\LINUX\IPC$

Unfortunately, I have tried every password that I entered into the
system, but it just will not play nicely.

I am sure that I have missed something stupid, but the FAQs and
documentation that I have searched through do not mention this at all.

I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks in advance:

Bill Seay
AMS Technologies
Bseay at amstek.com