Please help with winbind setup

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Thu Nov 8 08:30:08 GMT 2001

Do 'getent passwd' and 'getent group' list your NT users?  If not, check
your /etc/nsswitch.conf file. Also, make sure you have
/lib/libnss_winbind.so and /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2.  (One should be an
actual file, and the other one a link to that file.  Run /sbin/ldconfig
after changing these, if you need to change them.)  If the getent commands
don't work, PAM authentication won't work either.

For your /etc/pam.d/samba file, try this:

auth		sufficient	/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth		required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_first_pass
nullok shadow
account	required	/lib/security/pam_winbind.so

The pam_securetty and pam_nologin.so lines may be confusing things.  The
above is what's working on my RedHat 7.0 system.