Please help with winbind setup

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Thu Nov 8 07:43:02 GMT 2001

I have been (unsuccessfully) trying to get this up and
running for the past few days.  I have successfully
setup samba itself NUMEROUS times but this winbind
stuff has me stumped.

I have built a fresh box for this server using Turbo
Linux server 6.5 and samba 2.2.2.  I have followed all
the docs and man pages that i could find.

1. I have samba compiled (using --with-winbind
--with-pam) and running.
2. The samba box has been successfully added to my NT
domain.
3. Winbind appears to be communicating to some extent
with my PDC because i can get a list of users with
"wbinfo -u".

The samba server shows up in the browse list on the
Windows clients but when you click on the machine it is
still prompting users for a name and password (none of
which work).

my smb.conf file has the following related entries:

#winbind stuff
winbind separator = +
winbind cache = 10
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
template shell = /bin/false
template homedir = /home/$D/$U

security = domain
password server = *
encrypt passwords = yes

[tmp]
	comment = Temporary file space
	path = /tmp
	read only = no
	public = yes

[share]
	comment = none
	path = /shares/test
	valid users = TESTDOM+larry,TESTDOM+administrator
	public = yes
	writable = yes

I created a file called "samba" in the /etc/pam.d/ dir
which contains the following lines:

auth	required	/lib/security/pam_securetty
auth	required	/lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth	sufficient	/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth	required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_first_pass
shadow nullok
account	required	/lib/security/pam_winbind.so

I am ONLY concerned with users being able to access the
samba shares.  I don't want them to be able to login or
ftp to the samba box.  If anyone here can help me out
with this one i would really appreciate it.  If any
more info is required, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
VeKTeReX