Problems with folders

James Simons jsimons at ntinet.com
Thu Nov 8 06:13:04 GMT 2001

I've got Samba up and running on my network, with relativley few
problems, but I'm having a problem with subfolders.  Lets take this
snippet from my smb.conf as an exanple and then I'll move on

[Documents]
    comment = office documents
    path = /usr/smb_files/documents
    public = no
    writeable = yes
    write list = @secretaries
    borwseable = yes

Let me use this example to show you the problem I'm having.
A member of secretaries logs in and goes to documents.  She creates a
new folder, work1,  for the case she is working on.  She generates
several word documents and decides to put them in a seperate folder.
When she clicks on the make new folder button Windows says to her access
is denied."  I come back to the server, and I check the permissions.
 Sure enough the "/usr/smb_files/documents" folder has permissions set
for r/w/e for the group of @secretaries but the folder she created,
work1, did not inherret those settings from its parent.  Why?  Am I
going to have to keep going behind everybody and set permissions for
their folders?  This seems awfully strange.  I'm wondering if it has
anything to do with the fact that root is set as the folder owner.  Any
ideas?

thanks a ton,
James

ps-I just joined this list a few days and I just wanted to say thanks to
all of you out there who have helped me out already.  Newbies become
gurus thorugh learning and experience, you guys re helping to turn me
into a guru.  Thanks