Problem with GID being set to UID for Samba 2.2.2

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Nov 7 17:51:03 GMT 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Indulis Bernsteins wrote:

> Tony- thanks for the quick reply, but it probably doesn't solve the
> problem  (I will try the force group=users tonight at home but that still
> won't explain where samba is getting nonexistent gid of 501 from..  501 is
> not a group in my /etc/group file!)

Sorry, I should have read the email more carfully.

<snip>

> I created "New Folder" after I had deleted group 501, changed user pbabern
> to be in primary group 502 (as per the /etc/passwd), and kicked xinetd in
> the HUPs to force a daemon refresh (JIC).

Ummm things begs a question.
Is samba running from inetd/xinetd .... most RedHat systems I've seen it
runs as a standalone deamon.

If this is the case then palying with xinetd wont affect samba and the
existing sessions wouldn't have seen the changes you made to /etc/*

Try running:
chkconfig --list | grep -2 smb

I promise that if this doesn't help  I'll reread the whole problem again.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */