samba PDC with NIS, or other solution?

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at hera.itg.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 7 13:21:04 GMT 2001

We have a network with Windows NT/2000, SGI's, Linux, Macintosh, AIX. Our
user account/passwords for all our machines is handled by NIS on an AIX
machine.

Our unix machines autheticate through NIS. Our windows machines
authenticate by loging on to an NT server acting as the PDC, and that PDC
has a service installed on it called "WinDD NIS" (made by Tektronix I
think) which contacts the NIS server and validates user passwords. However
WinDD will not work with Windows 2000 clients, and we are upgrade to
windows 2000, so we have to come up with a solution.

Our first idea is to scratch the Windows PDC and go with a Linux/Samba
PDC. However, we seem to be coming to the realization that samba will not
work with NIS, simply because they use different password encryption. Is
this true? does anyone out there use samba PDC with NIS? Or do we have
to switch from NIS to NIS+? Does NIS+ use the same encryption as samba and
therefore work with samba PDC?

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance,

Alex
Alex Lazarevich
Systems Administrator
Imaging Technology Group, http://www.itg.uiuc.edu