Can't get test 8 working

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Nov 7 09:59:03 GMT 2001

I have just installed the IRIX binary version (2.2.2) on an SGI Indy called "indy2"
which is running IRIX 6.5.10.  I then started to work through the tests in
DIAGNOSIS.txt documents and all was well until test 8.  To try to get things going I
reduced the smb.conf file to the following:

  [global]
    workgroup = indy2grp
  [homes]
    guest ok = no
    read only = no
  [tmp]
    path = /tmp
    read only = yes

Test 8 uses the DOS command: "net view \\indy2" on a PC.  The PC is running Windows
98 SE and is logged in to a Novell server with the same username and password as is
available on indy2.  (Note that "smbclient -L indy2 -U'username%password'" on indy2
works fine.)  net view fails with "Error 86: The specified network password is not
correct. Type the correct password....".

Eventually, after looking at the smbd code I switched on debugging at level 5 and
smbd logs the error "Null passwords not allowed" at smbd/password.c line 592.

What am I doing wrong?  Surely my Windows 98 system should be using the password
which I used in the Netware login?

Phil.