Samba Migration

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Nov 6 17:12:03 GMT 2001

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Bill Moran wrote:

> Alright, if I'm wrong, please straighten me out on this.
> 1. All? versions of Windows are capable of using cleartext and/or
>     encrypted passwords?

Yup.  *all*

> 2. What is the purpose of the registry change files that ship
>     with Samba and change encyrption settings?

To allow the client to downgrade to clear text of the server does not
support password encryption.  It does not disable the use of password
encryption if the server supports it.

> I'm getting the impression that I've had my head screwed on backwards
> on this topic from the beginning.  Are you saying that all versions of
> Windows (back to Win95) are capable of either cleartext or encrypted
> passwords, but more recent versions refuse to use cleartext unless the
> registry is changed?  If I've got it right now, please let me know so
> I can stop sounding like a dumbass.

You're fine.  I been trying to explain this for a long time now.
You are not the only one who has this confused. :-)

How's this for your noodle....

    The DOS basic network redirector will **only** support
    encrypted passwords.  The full redirectory will support
    both.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org