finding win2k PDCs other then by wins or broadcast?

Andreas Schuldei andreas.schuldei at tritech.se
Tue Nov 6 02:11:02 GMT 2001

I am having problems to find the password server (for winbind) in the
other ip subnet by means of lmhosts and DNS. I tried to specify it in
the smb.conf by giving the WINS-names in the line

password server = TRI-ST-S001, TRI-ST-S002

and also wrote those WINS names with the respectiv IPs in the lmhosts.
THose are also read at winbind startup. But when samba tries to find
out the PDC using the domainname<0x1c> notation, it does not get any
response (to its Broadcast) since the servers are in an other subnet.
DNS does not provide any means of communicating PDCs.
So the winbindd debug message is
Could not find any domain controllers for TRITECH.

How can I get this to work?

Can I somehow mark Domanicontrollers in the lmhosts file?