Samba Migration

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Nov 5 14:37:04 GMT 2001

You may be dealing with a problem of encrypted passwords ...
Older version of Win95 used cleartext passwords, while newer
versions use encrypted passwords.  The two auth techniques are
not compatable.
Find a time when you can do some tests and change the server
config to use cleartext passwords and see if the problem stations
can now log in.  If so, you'll need to pick one method (encrypt/
cleartext) and configure all workstation to be the same.  The
man page claims that the default is encryption on, but that may
no longer be the default for newer versions of Samba.
[your problem may be something different, since you claim that
everything was working before, be sure to test before doing any
wholesale changes]
Read ENCRYPTION.txt that comes with the samba distribution,
as well as the smb.conf man page (the section on "encrypt passwords=")

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology