NFS issues (was Re: 32/64bit locking problem with 2.2.2)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Nov 5 11:12:10 GMT 2001

I have had a problem that may be related, and I'm also not yet sure if
it's a Samba
or NFS problem.  Example:
On server SMBSERVER I have /data shared as a samba share.
/data/local and all it's subdirectories are local to this server.
/data/remote is mounted to a remote machine via NFS and there
is a whole tree of "stuff" on that remote server.
Obviously, the Windows user sees a share called "data", with "local"
and "remote" subdirectories and has no real knowledge of where the
data is actually located (nor should he need to)
However, a Windows _move_ operation from /data/local to /data/remote
(or anywhere in the subtree) fails with a permission error.  Copying
the file and then deleting the original works fine. Moving the file from
any other share or drive to/from anywhere on the /data share works fine
as well.  Since there is such an easy workaround, this has been a low
priority.
In other words, I can't yet say whether it's Samba or NFS causing the
problem.  The problem appeared after I upgraded FreeBSD from 4.3
to 4.4 and Samba from 2.0.7 to 2.2.x over the weekend.
I'm hoping to take some time to track this down this week, but I just
thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone knew where the problem was.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology