libnss-ldap vs winbind?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sun Nov 4 21:44:02 GMT 2001

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Andreas Schuldei wrote:

> I set up winbind on one box successfully. Now a friend told me
> that it might be better to use ActiveDirectoriy (the PDC and all
> other servers are win2000). What is the difference in both
> approaches? which is 'better'?
>
> I feel that ldap is the more general and cleaner solution. Is
> that true? My windows-admins will get rid of wins soon. does
> winbind rely on wins? can libnss-ldap also create pseudo UIDs and
> GIDs?

IIRC MS uses a non-standard NIS schema in the SFU 2.0
active dircetory add-on (non rfc2307).  Unless Luke Howard
has adapted nss_ldap to work with this recently, you best bet
will still be winbind.

Are you using Samba?  Samba requires NTLMv1 and netbios
services to belong to a Windows domain (even a Win2k domain).

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org