prevent workgroups from appearing in browse list

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sun Nov 4 21:11:08 GMT 2001

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Martin Kaehmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a samba 2.2.1a (cvs-06.08.2001) running as PDC for my domain,
> and it is doing fine. But in the broadcast domain there are severeal
> other workgroups (no domains) with their own Domain Master Browsers.
> Additionaly there are always a lot of unconfigured computers not under
> my control, which build their own workgroups (e.g. mdkhome,
> workgroup...).
>
> My problem is now, how do I prevent all but some of the workgroups to
> appeare in the browse list of my server ? I'd like that my users only
> see some special workgroups besides their domain in their network
> neighborhood, but not all.

A netbios scope would probably work, but I do not recommend using
it unless you really understand netbios name services.  It can
break many things.  Other than code modifications, I can think
of no means of doing this.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org