Plea for help: Windows/Linux interoperability diffculties

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sun Nov 4 09:54:02 GMT 2001

I would really try the simple approach.
I would first look into the printer crashing problem by removing the
[PRINTER$] share and using the most simple printer share definition I could.
I would make up a new smb.conf with as few items in it as possible and test
it out during a quiet time on your network.

Here is what my printer share looks like:

   [lp]
        comment = Raw Printer for Z53
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.
        printable = Yes
        printing = lprng
#       print command = echo "Tried to print %s" > /SPOOL/junk.%s
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -Plp %s; rm %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
        lppause command = /usr/bin/lpc hold -Plp %j
        lpresume command = /usr/bin/lpc release -Plp %j
        printer name = lp
        share modes = No

Now, you are SURE that BSD is your printing software?
To find out what print commands your version of smbd supports, you might
find:
strings `which smbd` | grep command | less
useful.
Thinking more about this, it is hard to understand why your windows machines
crash when they print. After all, all that the windows box is doing is
transferring the print file to a temporary file on the samba server, after
which linux takes over. You can check to see if the transfer is taking place
properly. To find out, put a bogus print command in place of lpr, like:
echo Have gotten a file %s > /tmp/message.
If the transfer has occurred, you can try printing the file with lpr
filename. NOW, it just occurs to me. You need to have two different print
queues, one for windows clients and one for linux clients, since windows
does all its own filtering and  samba just dumps the file to the printer.
Linux clients can ask the server to filter their print jobs, which
usually arrive as postscript documents at the server.
Joel