Plea for help: Windows/Linux interoperability diffculties

Brad Chapman jabiru_croc at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 09:16:03 GMT 2001

Mr. Hammer,

--- Joel Hammer <Joel at HammersHome.com> wrote:
> You sound desperate so I'll throw in my simple thoughts.
> How many machines are on your network. Do all windows clients have the same
> trouble ?

	Seven. Four of them run Windows, and five of them run Linux (some
are dualboots ;)

> Why not try upgrading to the current version of samba?

	Upgrading the machine in question is difficult. I can try, but
I don't want to upgrade to something which breaks everything completely.
What is the best version of 2.2.x Samba to run?

> You have a somewhat  complicated smb.conf file. What happens when you use a
> much
> simpler smb.conf file? For most situation, the defaults work fine.

	This smb.conf file is just an accumulation of tuning efforts
for both my Linux and Windows systems. I've never had to try anything
smaller before. But I can try.....

> Why do are you using the max connections option ?

	Because the machine in question is not a fast one, and I would
rather not have all the other machines crash it by attempting to connect
at once.

> Why do you have a PRINTER$ share as well as a specific share for your laser
> printer?

	In an effort to alleviate the printing instabilites on the Windows
clients, I followed the instructions for setting up downloadable printer
shares, thinking this would fix the problem. It didn't :(

> Why do you have BSD printing? My RH box 7.1 uses LPRng.

	These are old, heavily modifed 6.2 boxes with the lpr spool system.

> Can the linux server print to the printer ?

	Yes! That's the problem! When I connect to the printer share using
smbclient and do a direct file dump (i.e. "put /etc/smb.conf"), it works!
Using the print command also works! But whenever a Windows client attempts
to print to that share, it starts crashing.

> You have log level of 3. What does the log show you when things are going
> wrong?

	Not much. Mostly errors and stuff. However, in this case there weren't
any obvious errors......

> Joel
>

> On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 04:44:37AM -0800, Brad Chapman wrote:
> > Everyone,
> >
> > 	I'm at the last straw. For at least 5 to 6 months I have tried to
> > get Samba 2.0.6 and Samba 2.0.7 to interoperate with Windows 98, with only
> > partial success. Whenever a Windows machine does an SMB query of the master
> > browser on my network, it takes an abysmally long time to respond. Whenever
> > a Windows machine attempts to print, it becomes unstable and starts
> crashing.
> > I'm attaching my smb.conf file for review.

=====
Brad Chapman

Permanent e-mails: kakadu_croc at yahoo.com
		   jabiru_croc at yahoo.com