what causes extra samba share to appear

Storm Jumper stormjumper.delete.this. at myrealbox.delete.this.com
Sun Nov 4 09:15:02 GMT 2001

hi,

whenever i'm accessing my samba shares,
it appears in duplicate, but under 2 headings:
homes and "username", whoever the user logged on.

eg. if i run 'smbclient -L //samba -U john'
i get
    homes    Disk    User home directory
    john     Disk    User home directory

both shares refers to the same directories
on the samba machine.

does anyone know why this is so?
i've attached some info,
as well as my extremely simply smb.conf.

if any other info is need, feel free to let me know.

thanks in advance.

INFO
----
i'm using Samba 2.2.2, compiled from source with smbfs,
on Linux 2.4.10.
i've tried connecting from the same machine,
as well as from a Win98 client logged on as john.
both gives the same results.

smb.conf
--------
[global]
  workgroup = myhome
  encrypt passwords= yes

  [homes]
    comment = User Home Directory
    read only = no
#end smb.conf

---
my email address is stormjumper at myrealbox dot com
pls remove the unnecessary bits from the reply address
i apologise for the inconvenience