Samba 2.0.7 problems (on RedHat 7.0)

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Nov 2 10:03:03 GMT 2001

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Dimitrie Paun wrote:

> Yeah, but I thought that mount(8) is used as an interface to smbmount(8).

It is. But mount passes all the work on to smbmount.

> Also, I have not found any smbmount-specific options to allow for user
> mounts. It does seem like I use the thing accorgind to the documentation.
> Personally, I'd much rather use a uniform interface for mounting stuff (ie.
> mount(8)), than having to deal directly with the various specific mounts.

You can't do that right now.

> But is there any advantage to use smbmount(8) directly instead of mount(8)?

It allows you to do user mounts ... assuming you do what the smbmnt
manpage says (and also make sure the user doing the mount owns the dir
being mounted).

> Actually, I've noticed that with debug=4 I do get some messages to the
> console. Unfortunately, they get lost in a see of build output. I can try to
> recover them from there...

The interesting messages are the ones being logged to file, when smbmount
tries to reconnect, not the messages at the first mount. I want to know
why smbmount fails to reconnect.

> > > smb_trans2_request: result=-104, setting invalid
> > > smb_retry: successful, new pid=15679, generation=2
> >
> > It is interesting that it reconnects successfully sometimes ...
>
> Yeah, but look what the man page for smbmount(8) says:

I wrote most of that, so yes, I know what it says. I don't see why that is
relevant. That text talks about bugs where it always terminates, you have
found one where it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Not the same bug, just similar effects.

/Urban