Connecting through a firewall

Barry Callahan barryc at rjlsystems.com
Fri Nov 2 06:24:03 GMT 2001

Generally speaking, you shouldn't.  The more holes you punch through your
firewall, the less secure it becomes.

That having been said, I'd also like to use samba across a firewall, but for a
specific purpose.  Here's my setup:

           OUTSIDE

           firewall
           |      |
192.168.0.0/17  192.168.128.0/17

(the /17 indicates a 17-bit netmask for those who don't know, or: 255.255.128.0)

And I am in complete control of the network, including the firewall.

Servers are on the left side of the firewall, workstations are on the right.
I have a Sun Ultra-1 that I intend to place in the server pool as a
backup-server.  This machine will be running samba, as I'd like it to be able to
mount read-only shares from the PC workstations for dumping to tape.

As I understand, I'll need to allow traffic between the backup server and the
workstation pool on the following ports with both tcp and udp protocols:

#(from the samba machine's /etc/services file)
netbios-ns      137/tcp                         # NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-ns      137/udp                         # NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-dgm     138/tcp                         # NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-dgm     138/udp                         # NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-ssn     139/tcp                         # NETBIOS Session Service
netbios-ssn     139/udp                         # NETBIOS Session Service

Is there anything else I'd need to do for this scenario?  IE:
Should I set up a PDC on both branches of the firewall?
I can also set up NAT (network address translation) to make the samba machine
look like it's on the other side of the firewall...

What if I decided to allow the samba machine to browse the shares on the
workstations, or vice-versa?