Auto starting the daemon in redhat

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Thu Nov 1 15:27:33 GMT 2001

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Jon wrote:

> I am having a problem with the auto running of the samba daemons in red hat
>
> I got the smb script from the site and place it as /etc/rc.c/init.d/smb
>
> Then I set up symbolic links in the places it told me.
>
> I used lm -s ..... for the links

Hopefully it was ln -s.......

> I went into the place where one link was and I use colors to signify what something is. All of the links are in cyan except for the one created which is white with a red bg.

Then you did not get them right. If you are using the redhat rpms all you need to do
is as root run ntsysv and select smb. this will make the links for you in
the current runlevel.

> I set them up as symbolic links, was I supposed to do hard links - i.e. just use ln ... (not -s)
>
> It said symbolic links!

and that is correct. If you are not using the redhat init script then cd to the directory
you want the link in. Do "ln -s ../init.d/smb S91smb" That should do it. This assumes you
put the script in /etc/rc.d/init.d or /etc/init.d/ they are both the same if you have
redhat 7.0 or later.

HTH,

--
......Tom		Dysfunction The Only Consistent Feature of All
tdiehl at rogueind.com	of Your Dissatisfying Relationships is You.