Getent problem in samba 2.2

Esh, Andrew AEsh at tricord.com
Thu Nov 1 07:40:10 GMT 2001

1. Make sure you have installed libnss_winbindd.so in a directory which is
listed in /etc/ld.so.conf.
2. Symlink libnss_winbindd.so to libnss_winbindd.so.2 in the same directory.
3. Run ldconfig.
4. Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf, and add "winbind" to the passwd and group lines.

To get more information about what is happening when you run getent, use
"strace getent passwd", and watch the output. See if it tries to load
libnss_winbindd.so. If it does not, check step 4, above. See if it reports
an error when it tries to use libnss_winbindd.so. If so, check steps 1
through 3. Run "ldconfig -p | grep winbind" to see if the winbind nss
library is available. If not, check steps 1 through 3.

When the name service fails to load a library, it doesn't report that it had
a problem. There is an assumption that services which may be queried later
may resolve the name, so it's not treated as an error.