Debian Package for Samba 2.2.0

Gary Wilson wilsong at sergievsky.cpmc.columbia.edu
Thu May 10 18:39:40 GMT 2001

I may not be that much help for you. But ...

Storm 2000 is dead. The distro is shut down. A dot-com bust.

A good and stable Debian-based distribution that has a GUI installer and
sets up a nice GUI desktop is Progeny (at www.progeny.com).

That said, I don't think that there is that much difference between Mandrake
and Progeny. Mandrake is based on Red Hat. Progeny is based on Debian. Both
of them are Linux. And when they are installed they are running Linux, and
they are running essentially the same Linux.

The advantages of Mandrake or Progeny is in their easy-to-use installers,
their nice desktops, and the particular packages they include.

For a really good installer, Caldera OpenLinux tops them all. But that's
another story.

For a system that is going to be a server, you don't really need all of
that. Red Hat has a good server edition. Caldera has its eServer, which I
personally like even more. And Debian (not Progeny or Stormix or any other
version) is a server edition in its default configuration.

If you know some basic Linux, Debian can even be the easiest to set up and
maintain. It's got the best package program out there.

Anyway, too much is made about the differences between the distributions.
Even if you end up having to use Mandrake, it will still be Linux under the
hood. And that is what counts the most. That's what you really want running
on your servers.

Gary