Questions on connecting to AppleShare IP via Samba

Marc Hoffman mhoffman at morrispublishing.com
Thu May 10 16:28:47 GMT 2001

Dear Support:

We have several Solaris 7 computers that need to be able to mount an
AppleShare IP server to their filemanagers.  Since AppleShare IP support
SMB, I think that this is the best way to get these computers talking to
each other. To that end, I've tried to use SMB to network the two computers.
The Appleshare IP has two NICs connected to two different networks: One is
Macintosh only, and the other is Unix only. Normally, these two networks
don't even see each other. I have a router set up on the AppleShare IP
server so that it acts as a selective bridge between the two networks. Samba
is installed and working correctly on the Solaris computers.

Here's where the problem begins. Whenever I try to mount the Appleshare
server to the Solaris client, I get this error:

BooBooKitty.gateway.21> smbclient //AppleshareIP/oce
Added interface ip=161.33.1.60 bcast=161.33.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
Got a positive name query response from 161.33.1.254 ( 192.168.100.241 )
error connecting to 192.168.100.241:139 (No route to host)
Connection to AppleshareIP failed
BooBooKitty.gateway.22>

I believe that I know what the problem is, but I don't have the Unix
background to know how to fix it (I also may be completely off, too, in
which case...fire away :-). It seems that the Solaris computer is making
positive contact with the Appleshare on its Unix NIC (IP address os
161.33.1.254), and is seeing the IP address of the other NIC
(192.168.100.241). It seems to be having a problem making the bridge between
the two. Would specifying the Appleshare IP server as the router for the
Solaris computers solve this issue? If so, how do I change the router (or
gateway) value on the Solaris platform?

Any and all help that you might be able to provide would be *greatly*
appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.
--
Marc R. Hoffman