Printing on Windows box

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Thu May 10 12:28:58 GMT 2001

What Linux are you using? How have you set up your printcap? Manuall?
With a tool of the distribution?

> Hi,
>
> I think this problem could be disscussed here many times but I hope
> you will be able to help me
>
> I have got a linux server with Samba (there is a part of smb.conf and
> printcap file below). Most workstations work under Win95 or Win98. One
> of these Win computers (let's call it PRINTMAN) is connected with a
> printer and the printer is shared as BROTHER.
>
> Now, after installing the net printer (//LINUX/brotherlp), while
> printing from Win station everithing goes to the directory:
> /var/spool/samba on linux server and... that is all. Nothing goes to
> the printer.
>
> Why? Tell me, please, what should be changed, and what shoud be also
> written in printcap, smb.conf and .config file. I am new to linux and
> I have tried to read some manuals, books and list archives but I still
> cannot configure the printer
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dariusz J. Kawecki

> [global]
>    printcap name = /etc/printcap
>    load printers = yes
>    printing = lprng
>
> [printers]
>    comment = All Printers
>    path = /var/spool/samba
> ;   path = /var/spool/lpd/brotherlp
>    browseable = no
>    guest ok = yes
>    writable = no
>    printable = yes
> # /etc/printcap
> ##################### BROTHER HL-1050 ################################
> brotherlp:\
>     :lp=/dev/null:\
>     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/brotherlp:\
>     :mx#0:\
>     :sh:\
>     :rm=PRINTMAN          # It's the Windows computer
>     :rp=BROTHER            # It's the name of the share

Here is missing a :if=/...., with is a hack (possibly alyread written
by the distribution), soures the .config (Did you sent it with your
mail) and invoces a command like:

cat <print file> | smbclient //printman/brother -U ... -c 'print -'

Try printing from Linux to the printer first, then form samba to the
printer.

If you use a tool of your distribution to set up the printcap you
have to select "smb printer". I guess you have choosen "lpd printer"
or "remote printer"

Hope this helps.

Christian