Shared printers with netbios aliases - problem/bug?

Jeremy Nysen jnysen at triaptic.com.au
Thu May 10 01:23:42 GMT 2001

When selecting a browsed printer share using a netbios alias name of a
remote samba 2.2.0 server, the selected printer is incorrectly connected to
the main netbios name of the server. This also occurs when directly typing
the name directly into any printer locator dialog boxes. eg:

In smb.conf:
  netbios name = MACHINE23
  netbios alias = PRINTSERVER1
When 'Opening' the printer HP_LaserJet on PRINTSERVER1, (or when directly
entering \\PRINTERSERVER1\HP_LaserJet) the spooler dialog in NT4/2000
displays in the title of the box:
  HP_LaserJet on MACHINE23
What I would expect to see (and what is correctly displayed when using an
aliased Samba 2.0.7 print server) is:
  HP_LaserJet on PRINTSERVER1

When Adding printers to the local NT4/2000 system, the printer is added as:
  HP_LaserJet on MACHINE23

Printing is still functional, except that when I need to move a print
server from one samba file server to another, I have to change all the
clients to point to the new samba server. A good thing, though, is that the
null printer driver features in Samba 2.2 make adding a remote samba
printer to an NT4/2000 client VERY painless indeed. :-)

Unfortunately, the netbios alias problem above leads to a second problem.
Existing WIN2000 setups that have been previously configured with a printer
on an aliased Samba 2.0.7 server have the printer listed locally as
"HP_LaserJet on PRINTSERVER1". When this alias (PRINTSERVER1) was moved to
a Samba 2.2.0 server, any attempt to 'Delete' this printer displayed an
error that says "Printer cannot be removed. Windows cannot connect to the
printer...". The 'Delete' works fine if the name PRINTSERVER1 is a 'netbios
name' and not a 'netbios alias'. It is also works when using a netbios
alias with a Samba 2.0.7 print server.

Has anyone else seen this - or is there a better way to have generic
printer shares than using a netbios alias?

Thanks,
Jeremy