NT/W2K password prompting

Angie.Cabrera at LogixCom.com Angie.Cabrera at LogixCom.com
Wed May 9 20:55:02 GMT 2001

Yes each user is logging into a a DOMAIN, I don't see an option in my
smb.conf file to answer your other questions?
I have attached it below.  I am running an old version of samba 1.9.18

; Configuration file for smbd.        ACE*COMM   980827 13:20pm Touster
; ==========================================================================
; For the format of this file and comprehensive descriptions of all the
; configuration option, please refer to the man page for smb.conf(5)

; Note: for ease of future administration of your Samba, copy & paste a
; line, date it & remark it out, and then enter your changes to the
; new line.  (it's easier than keeping a separate change log)

; --------------------------
; -- Begin GLOBAL section --
; --------------------------

 [global]
; The "announce version = 4.0" is to report this as NT 4.0 not 4.2
 announce version = 4.0
 server string = %h Samba %v
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY
; deadtime is the ability to disconnect idle connections with no open files
;   the time is in minutes.  Samba's default is zero (no disconnect)
; deadtime = 15
; dos filetimes: Samba  runs  with  POSIX  semantics and refuses to
;     change the timestamp on a file if the user smbd is acting on
;     behalf of is not the file owner. Setting this option to True
;     allows DOS semantics and smbd will change the file timestamp
;     as  DOS requires.
 dos filetimes = True
;# Encrypt passwords for Samba 17p1 or above (ACE*COMM's Samba & NT sp3)
 encrypt passwords = yes
;# WARNING: Do not uncomment the "encrypt passwords" or "unix password sync"

;#  or "password server" until you know the implications and you have read
;#   the Samba doc on this subject!
;#    (ie: will have 1 or 2 additional password files to
;#         keep in sync)
; unix password sync = yes
 name resolve order = wins hosts lmhosts bcast
 workgroup = SBLOGIX
;# If more than one network card/interface (more then one IP on this server)
;#  Then uncomment the next line and enter the IP/Subnetmask,IP/Subnetmask
;#  of all the interfaces
; interfaces = 192.152.208.91/255.255.255.0,192.152.209.3/255.255.255.0
 allow hosts =
172.16.,172.31.,206.136.17.,150.125.100.,192.152.208.,38.177.115.,38.249.211
.,10.22.1.
 guest account = nobody
 printing = bsd
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
;# load printers = yes should be used only if:
;#    1. The printer sections below are configured the same
;#         (ie: -v option is in all or none)
;#    2. All the printers in the /etc/printcap will be shared through Samba
;#  If yes, then do not enter individual printer sections
 load printers = yes

;## Never change the next line!
 domain master = no
;## Comment out next 3 lines only if no NT/95 PC's exist on network
 local master = no
 preferred master = no
 os level = 0

 ; WINS:  Two parameters must be used together to control WINS:
 ;        "wins support" and "wins server"
 ;     "wins support" controls if Samba will act as a WINS server.
 ;         You should normally leave this set to the default of "Yes",
 ;         unless there is already another WINS server on the network
 ;         (Note: currently, Samba does NOT support WINS database
 ;         replication with other WINS servers or a "Secondary server")
 ;     "wins server" specifies the DNS name of the WINS server that
 ;         Samba should register with. If there is a WINS server on the
 ;         network then set this parameter to the WINS servers name and
 ;         enter the DNS name of that server and it's IP address in the
 ;         "/etc/hosts" as well as the "...samba/lib/lmhosts" file.
 ;         Leave the default of null or remarked out if this Samba will
 ;         act as WINS server.
 ;    This only takes effect if Samba is not acting as a WINS server itself
 ; wins support = no
 ; example:       wins server = NameOfWinsServer
 ; wins server = un-remark this line and enter name here
 wins support = no
 wins server = 150.125.100.90

 ; PASSWORD SERVER:
 ;     IMPORTANT: Do not uncomment the "password server" until you know the
 ;                implications and have read the doc on this subject!
 ;         By specifying the name of another SMB server
 ;         (do not point to this Samba server, will cause a loop)
 ;         (such as a WinNT box) with this option, and using
 ;         "security = server" you can get Samba to do all its
 ;         username/password validation via a remote server.
 ;     "password server"  sets the name of the password server to use.
 ;         It must be a netbios name, so if the machine's netbios name is
 ;         different from it's internet (IP/DNS) name then add its netbios
 ;         name to "/etc/hosts" as well as the "...samba/lib/lmhosts file"
 ;       Note: Use the NT's Primary Domain Controller (PDC) and as many
 ;         Backup Domain Controller's (BDC) as needed separated by a comma.
; example:
; password server = NameofNT-PDCsrv,NameofNT-BDC1srv,NameofNT-BDC2srv

; If NT 4.0 with sp3 or greater (forced encrypted passwds) then must not
;  use security = SHARE (Samba's default) it's very unreliable.
; Must use one of the others (USER or SERVER)
; IMPORTANT: Only 1 of the 3 "security =" can be uncommented!
; See "PASSWORD SERVER" above for info on changing this parameter
 security = SHARE
 ; security = USER
 ; security = SERVER

;  This next option sets a separate log file for each client. Remove
;  it if you want a combined log file.
; For DEBUGing, increase the "log level" to 3
;    (or higher for more detail like 5 or 9)
; and change the "max size" to 2048 (2mb)
; WARNING!  The increase will have a MAJOR impact in PERFORMANCE!
;  YOU MUST put back to "log level = 1"   and   "max log size = 512"
;  max log size = 512 is = to 512K
 max log size = 1024
 log level = 10
 log file = /usr/samba/log/log.%M.%m
; The file name is based on the client's name: log.InternetName.NetBIOSname
;  Note: InternetName="DNS name"   NetBIOSname="MS ComputerName" from ID tab

;  You will need a world readable lock directory and "share modes=yes"
;  if you want to support the file sharing modes for multiple users
;  of the same files
 lock directory = /usr/samba/var/locks
 share modes = yes

;# "mangle case = yes/no" controls if names that have characters that
;# aren't of the "default" case are mangled. For example, if this is yes
;# then a name like "Mail" would be mangled. Default no.
;#
;# "case sensitive = yes/no" controls whether filenames are case sensitive.
;# If they aren't then Samba must do a filename search and match on passed
;# names. Default no.
;#
;# "default case = upper/lower" controls what the default case is for new
;# filenames. Default lower.
;#
;# "preserve case = yes/no" controls if new files are created with the case
;# that the client passes, or if they are forced to be the "default" case.
;# Default no.
;#
;# "short preserve case = yes/no" controls if new files which conform to 8.3

;# syntax, that is all in upper case and of suitable length, are created
;# upper case, or if they are forced to be the "default" case. This option
;# can be use with "preserve case = yes" to permit long filenames to
;# retain their case, while short names are lowered. Default no.
;# case sensitive = no
;# default case = upper
;# preserve case = yes
;# short preserve case = yes

case sensitive = no
default case = upper
preserve case = no
;# can't use with above at no   ;short preserve case = yes

; --------------------------
; --end of GLOBAL section --
; --------------------------

;[homes]
;   comment = Home Directories
;   browseable = no
;   read only = no
;   create mode = 0750

; --------------------------
; --------------------------
; --------------------------

[smbuser]
;#  Enter the correct path for the telmars directory below
    path = /RAID-A/telmars
;# The "valid users" not used.... see global, "allow hosts"
;#  Add the users below with a space between
;#    valid users = telmars
    dont descend =
/RAID-A/telmars/bin,/RAID-A/telmars/poll,/RAID-A/telmars/DATA
    public = no
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    browseable = yes
    create mode = 0760

[admin]
;#    DO NOT ADD users or ip's to this section - High Security risk
;#  Enter the correct path for the telmars directory below
    path = /usr2/telmars
;# The "valid users" not used.... see global, "allow hosts"
;#  Add the users below with a space between
    allow hosts = 192.152.208.173,38.177.115.213,172.31.16.110
    valid users = dtouster
    force user = telmars
    force group = netplus
    public = no
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    browseable = yes
    create mode = 0740

[adminsys]
;#    DO NOT ADD users or ip's to this section - High Security risk
;#  Enter the correct path for the telmars directory below
    path = /
;# The "valid users" not used.... see global, "allow hosts"
;#  Add the users below with a space between
    allow hosts = 192.152.208.173,38.177.115.213,172.31.16.110
    valid users = dtouster
    force user = root
    force group = other
    public = no
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    browseable = yes
    create mode = 0740

[inv]
;#    DO NOT ADD users or ip's to this section - High Security risk
;#  Enter the correct path for the telmars directory below
    path = /RAID-A/telmars/REPORTS/INVOICES
;# The "valid users" not used.... see global, "allow hosts"
;#  Add the users below with a space between
    allow hosts =
192.152.208.173,38.177.115.213,172.31.16.110,38.177.115.238,172.31
    valid users = inv
    force user = inv
    force group = netplus
    public = no