strange problems with "eudora.ini"

Marcus Pless mpless at servo.ucsd.edu
Wed May 9 17:53:02 GMT 2001

After upgrading to samba 2.2.0 (from 2.0.7) some of our Eudora users
started noticing that any changes they made to their "profile" weren't
getting saved between sessions.  The "eudora.ini" file exists (in their
UNIX home directory), but changes never get written to it.  They are
able to create/modify other files in their home directory without any
obvious problems.

I had a couple of boxes (SunOS and HPUX) that didn't respond to 2.2.0
very nicely, so those systems were upgraded to 2.0.8.  If the Eudora user
connects to a 2.0.8 box everything works as expected; the problem only
crops up when they connect to a 2.2.0 box.  I'm using config files which
are virtually identical between the two samba versions.

The potentially interesting snippets of my config file contain the
following:

[global]
        dos filetime resolution = yes
        fake directory create times = yes
        short preserve case = yes
        preserve case = yes
        getwd cache = yes
        share modes = yes
        locking = yes
        strict locking = yes

[homes]
        writable = yes
        browseable = yes
        oplocks = no
        public = no
        hide dot files = no
        wide links = yes
        create mask = 0640
        force create mode = 0640
        directory mask = 0750
        force directory mode = 0750

Anyone see anything obvious here?  Thanks in advance for any light
you can shed on this.

--
Marcus