profile problems in 2.2.0

Keith Warno keith.warno at valaran.com
Wed May 9 17:33:45 GMT 2001

Greetings all.  New to the list but not new to samba :)

2.2.0 is great stuff.  Printing couldn't have been any easier to set
up.  But, I've run into problems with roaming profiles.  Here's the
scenario (and a simple one at that):

We have a user, Joe, who's been authenticating to the samba 2.2.0 PC via
a given Windows 2000 workstation for quite some time.  Everything is
happy.  The one day Joe decides to log into the domain via a different
Windows 2000 workstation, on that he has not ever used before.  He
authenticates fine but his profile information has been lost; all his
profile information is back to their defaults.

I'm not a windows guru nor do I plan ever to be a windows guru, but for
whatever reason it seems that -- on the second win2k machine -- windows
is not sucking Joe's profile off the PDC but rather creating a new local
profile and using that one.  Of course, when Joe logs off, this new
default profile is deposited on the PDC, thereby nuking his old profile.

Any clues on how to avoid this mess?  Have I missed anything, besides
the last MCSE course?  ;-)

Thanks for any help,
kw