Archive bit handling in samba (is it a myth?)

Nick Demou ndemou at enlogic.gr
Wed May 9 16:46:08 GMT 2001

Hi,

OK I'm a newbie here but I've read the manuals several times and have done a
lot of testing. Didn't find it, hope one of you could help.

Samba is supposed to preserve the DOS/Windows archive bit in owner X flag.
And that is true but only as far as the owner of the files or the root is
loged in a share. You may think that this is normal but the side-efect of
this behaviour is not good at all:
The archive bit can not be corectly set/reset by samba in shares that have
BOTH following characteristics:
    a) more than one users are allowed to log on and those users may write
on the same files.
    b) they don't make use of the "force user" setting (for security
reasons)

I hope I'm wrong and somebody knows of a way to make samba handle the
Archive Bit corectly or else I will have to change a well established and
heavily customized backup procedure... (snif!)

Nick Demou