samba nt and nis

Dirk Maaß dm at hejoe.de
Wed May 9 12:58:28 GMT 2001

Christian Barth wrote:

> > Users can change passwords from w2k-clients. Unix-users have to use
> > smbpasswd on the server (that really sucks :-( ) and cannot use
> > 'passwd' on their own machine. Perhaps someone else has a good idea
> > how to make this possible.
> rename passwd to passwd.unix, yppasswd dot yppasswd and link
> smbpasswd to both of them. So no Unix user will notice that he is
> running smbpasswd instead of passwd.

Yes, I have done that before. The problem is, that the users have to log
in to the Server first.

I do not want them on the server. It is a file- and nameserver, other
processes disturb. No login - execpt for administration - should be
enabled.

Can I take smbpasswd out of the entire samba-suite and use it
independently on other machines with the same OS as a replacement for
`passwd` (e.g. 'smbpasswd -r PDC')? Are there other files needed?

Dirk Maass

--
HeJoe GmbH * Neustrelitz * Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
Tel. +49 3981 446120 * 0700 HeJoeGmbH