smbd dies intermittantly & oplocks

vk4kij at mail.ncc.qld.edu.au vk4kij at mail.ncc.qld.edu.au
Wed May 9 05:44:12 GMT 2001

G'day,

Brief LAN Layout:

We have 2 vlans, 1 has WinNT 4 sp6a running as the PDC, there are 2
Slackware 7.1, 2.2.19 kernel, boxes, running samba 2.2.0, which both are
on the 2 vlans.  One linux box is the PDC for it's vlan.

Both linux boxes run 2 copies of samba together, though the problem
of smbd dieing was there when only 1 samba copy was running on each box.

Cients are Win9x, with a few WinME.

Problem 1:

Inetrmittantly smbd daemon dies, clients can't logon, but those who
already are logged on continue to work, start samba again and okay for a
while.  Unfortunately the number of clients have suddenly grown & the problem
with it.

Got miles of logs, but don't know what is relevant to this problem, but
they are sitting at <http://www.ncc.qld.edu.au/samba>  Some hints to what
I should look for & I'll prune them down.

Problem 2:

Intermittantly the user is un-able to save the file he has already opened
in MS-whatever from his/her home directory, & can only save by re-naming the
file.  The only log I got was him trying to log back in & trying to open
the files, the older log was already deleted.