Samba shared printer and Windows 2000

Francesco Canessa francesco.canessa at fastwebnet.it
Tue May 8 21:31:17 GMT 2001

Dear Frends,
I have shared a printer (HP DeskJet 840C) on my network by means of Samba. I have a Windows 2000 client where I'd like to map the printer shared by Samba as a network printer.
When I look in the Windows "Network Neighborhoods" I can see the printer, but when I try to install it as a network printer using the "Create New Printer" guided procedure from the Printers Folder I cannot succeed. The problem arises when this procedure asks me to submit the correct printer driver. I yield the specific HP DJ 840C driver downloaded from HP Support, but Windows complains that this isn't a suitable one and fails the installation.
Unfortunately the printer installation procedure recognizes that a printer is shared by Samba but it does not recognize  that it is an HP DJ 840C (the model showed is: "NO DRIVER AVAILABLE FOR THIS PRINTER").

Thanks for the help

Francesco