Samba 2.0.7

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Tue May 8 19:58:45 GMT 2001

Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> 'smbclient -L BIGSERVER' reveals
> that there is an "error connecting to BIGSERVER". Don't know why.
> nmbdlookup -d 2 '*"  reveals that all is well.

Here is the first indication of your problem. Once you get an error
in one of the steps, stop and fix that before going on. This error
indicates that the machine is not responding to smb requests because
of some misconfiguration. (I assume you ran the smbclient command from
the samba machine named BIGSERVER). Are smbd and nmbd running? Is this
the DNS name of the machine or are you using the "netbios name" entry
in smb.conf to set the machines name?
Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177