samba nt and nis

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Tue May 8 16:54:13 GMT 2001

> On Mon, 7 May 2001, Christian Barth wrote:
>
> > >  Is it possible to change my Password from a NT-Machine in nis baove samba?
> > Yes, if the samba sever is on the same machine then the NIS server
> >
> > >  And how i can do it?
> > put a "cd /var/yp; make" at the end of the passwd chat.
> > or let cron do this.
>
> I haven't tried this but you can change the password chat to use yppasswd
> instead of passwd. Then you can use it even in case the samba server is
> not your NIS master.

In my expirence yppasswd dosen't work: It needs the old password in
clear text for the chat, even if running as root on the nis-server,
at last the implementations I know about. And we don't have the old
password in clear text if unix passwd sync is set to true, see man
smb.conf

> It works only if samba does the password chat with the UID of the user -
> does it?
The passwd chat is run as root if unix passwd sync is set to true,
see man smb.conf

Christian