tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (Invalid network name in tree connect.)

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Tue May 8 15:57:54 GMT 2001

Hi Joe,
This problem is due to everyone needing to connect to the IPC$ service for
browsing.  Every 'service' must have a path, and in the code, the path for
IPC$ (which is a special service) is set to be either whatever the
environment variable TMPDIR was at the time smbd was run
OR /tmp, if the TMPDIR environment variable is not defined.
so when a user comes in to browse (ie doubleclicking the machine name in
network neighborhood, or executing \\servername  in the run menu from
'start'), when smbd attempts to vfs_ChDir to /tmp  (or in your case
/root/tmp) as anyone other than root, then the unix permissions cause this
to fail.
Typically /tmp is a GOOD default, as it is generally a garbage collection
directory that everyone has access to.
Try setting the environment variable TMPDIR=/tmp  (or whatever other
directory you want, that you can guarantee all users have access to) before
you start nmbd/smbd.  That should do the trick for you...

Hope this helps,
Don
 "Reason, not volume, is the primary
differentiator between a discussion, and an
argument."